After piano teaching, my second passion is photography, and I had a good laugh the other day when I saw a “Top 10 Things You Should Never Say to a Photographer” on post Facebook. And it got me thinking about piano teachers and how we are often united by the same struggles, the same triumphs… and the same headaches.
Here’s my Top 10 list of things you should never say to a piano teacher. I’d love to hear your Top 10 additions. Share yours by leaving a comment below
1. He’s going to do his practising on his Grandma’s piano because we don’t have one.
2. She doesn’t practice because she’s not feeling challenged.
3. We forgot his piano books.
4. Phew! We barely made it. He’s been home from school all day with a nasty stomach bug!
5. So what do you do for work?
6. I don’t get paid until the end of the month so I’ll bring the lesson cheque then.
7. His Aunt is getting married tomorrow. I told her he could learn that wedding march song in today’s lesson.
8. He’s probably not going to like piano… but can he try it anyways?
9. Do you do drop in lessons?
10. We have a birthday party next week. Just let me know when you can do a make-up lesson.
Looking forward to reading your additions to this list
Many of these Top 10 statements just come with the territory, BUT we can help you to avoid ever hearing number 8! The Adventures of Fearless Fortissimo are comic-based piano books that will rid your studio of unenthusiastic and uncommitted male students forever! Find out why a piano teacher emailed to say “Boys who have a hard time working on their weekly assignments learn the music for Fearless Fortissimo in a week, hands together, perfect rhythm and dynamics! I really believe Fearless Fortissimo has kept at least 2 boys from dropping out last semester!”