I’m sure many of you have heard of “The Book of Awesome”. For those who haven’t, it’s a collection of 1000 things that make you happy… like when socks from the dryer all match up perfectly, or the very first scoop of peanut butter from the jar, or the cold side of your pillow. It’s all about the simple things that make your life… well… awesome.
I love this book – most of the things in it speak to me. So, I thought it would be fun to come up with the Piano Teacher’s version. We want you to sound off in the comment section below and tell us what would make the list in your Piano Teaching ‘Book of Awesome’!
If I were to write the Piano Teacher’s ‘Book of Awesome’ it would include…
1. Setting an “old fashioned” analog metronome to Presto just to watch it.
2. Three tonic chords played Fortissimo at the end of a Sonatina.
4. Yoga pants that can pass for teaching pants.
5. A well-used book lit by a brass adjustable piano lamp (you know the ones!)
6. A student’s cancellation at 7:15 Friday with no mention of wanting a make-up lesson.
7. Mechanical pencil lead that doesn’t snap.
8. A piece played in Eb major without a single missing A flat.
9. A piece played in E major without a single missing D sharp.
10. Knowing your post-teaching dinner is already made.
11. A voice mail from a family with 4 children inquiring about piano lessons.
12. Watching your student ace a performance.
13. Watching the parents’ faces as your student aces a performance.
14. A student who is a few minutes late when you really need a bathroom break.
15. Lysol wipes.
16. Teaching a piano piece that you yourself played as a child.
17. When Halloween falls on a non-teaching day.
18. Students who give you Gift Cards for Christmas.
19. Filling out the certificate at the back of your student’s lesson book.
What is your idea of awesome? Share your own “Piano Teacher Book of Awesome” additions in the comments section below!