Here are 9 things I love about teaching piano that have nothing to do with teaching piano.
Disclaimer – This list by no means implies teaching piano is “easy”… because it is not. But when I feel frustrated by the rigours of our profession, it’s always nice to be reminded of the perks.
1. When the rest of the world is stuck in morning rush hour, I am on a morning walk through the forest with my husband, my daughters, and my dog.
2. I can impress my “clients” with stickers 🙂
3. The only office gossip I have to put up with is “who held hands with who on the playground”.
4. Instead spending her days in daycare, my daughter gets to do crafts with ME… just like in the “good ‘ol days”.
5. My husband always makes dinner (what can I say… I’m busy teaching piano!).
6. I have an “office meeting” every Friday… at the movies… with ice cream.
7. Last summer I spent 3 weeks in Denmark… followed by 4 weeks at the beach… but not a single week “at work”.
8. Because my teenage piano students keep me “up-to-date” with all of the latest trends, I exist in a perpetual state of awesomeness 🙂
9. Number nine is up to you. Leave a comment telling me about one of your favorite piano teaching perks that has nothing to do with piano teaching.