Ever had one of those piano lessons where you were desperate for a last minute filler? Today’s piano teaching game is perfectly suited to this scenario. It doesn’t involve a rule sheet a mile long, or hours to set up. It’s quick and easy!
A Race to the Finish
Today’s game is designed to reinforce learning note values; specifically quarter notes, half notes, and eighth notes. All you need to play A Race to the Finish is the Race Template, a single die, and two game markers.
Playing The Game
1. Begin by filling each blank on the Race Template with note combinations (see example)
2. Place the student’s game marker on one car and the teacher’s game marker on the second car.
3. Instruct the student to roll the die. If the number on the die matches the value of the notes in the first square, the student’s game marker can advance one position. If the value does not match, it is the teacher’s turn.
4. Continue to take turns, back and forth, attempting to match note values and moving the game markers forward.
5. The player to reach the last square first wins the game.