My 16 month old knows how to unlock my iPhone. Her little finger swipes across that screen with an uncanny ease. My 16 month old also regularly calls Auntie Mimi, texts cryptic messages to Grandma and occasionally changes my voice commands. Kids love technology.
When searching for piano practice incentives I’m always looking for something new and interesting to catch my piano students’ attention. Kids today are seemingly beyond the same old same, old no matter how old they are. They need something new and fresh.
Tapping into “what’s cool” is a great way to encourage home piano practice, and this printable practice incentive does just that! Your piano kids will have a blast collecting “piano apps” and you’ll love the resulting practice and progress!
There’s an App For That… A Studio-Wide Piano Practice Incentive
It’s the start of a new month and it’s a great time to begin a new practice incentive in your piano studio. We designed this one to be really simple for teachers and completely cool for kids. Here’s how it works:
- Download the Piano Phone template here and print one copy per student. Laminate and then cut out the phone as well as each of the apps.
- Each student then gets his or her own “phone” and set of “apps.” Your students can keep their set inside a plastic page protector in their binders.
- During the event, each time a student completes one of the requirements listed on the parent information sheet found here they receive an app icon that they can then stick onto their phone’s home screen. You can choose to hand this info sheet out to all parents, post the info on your studio website or Facebook wall or just post it in a visible spot in your waiting area. It’s a ‘newsy’ item that is a great word-of mouth generator!
- Students continue to meet these goals until their phone is filled with all of the available app icons.
- Display the completed phones in your waiting area or take pictures of each of your students with their completed phones and instagram their photos (ooh… look how techie you are!)
Your students will be completely stoked about this fun new piano practice incentive. Engage kids by playing upon their interests and you will be amazed at the results!
Looking For Other Ways To Inspire Home Practice?
Teachers are amazed at how little they have to remind their students to play when they’re using WunderKeys Primer Method Books! Why? Because the books are colorful, engaging, easy to use and are designed with a step-by-step approach that makes home practice free from frustration. Find out more here.