It’s time to learn from my mistakes! And believe me… I’ve made many. In the almost 15 years I’ve spent running a very large music studio I’ve had my share of time to both triumph… and not. So, in the hopes that you too may learn from my mistakes here’s my 37 Things I Will Never Do Again (in no particular order). We’d love to hear what you’d add to your own “never again” list in the comments section below the post!
1. Agree to teach past 8:45pm
2. Help a student struggle through their current favourite tune that is miles too hard.
3. Host a recital that is more than 75 minutes long.
4. Give a candy or a sticker after every single lesson.
5. Teach theory concepts that my students will not encounter for a long time in their method book.
6. Turn away a 3 year old piano student (never again when I have this!)
7. Loan out my last copy of a much-loved piano book.
8. Neglect to teach my students to chord, play from guitar charts, and to compose.
9. Teach while my children are at home and may need me.
10. Rely on candy or stickers as a bribe to complete a lesson task.
11. Miss an opportunity for a good chat with a parent just because I didn’t know them very well.
12. Greet a young student in any other way but eye-level.
13. Hand out paper newsletters.
14. Allow my own expectations for progress to cloud what is being accomplished.
15. Let more than a month pass without connecting with a parent in some way.
16. Hold re-registration for the fall in June (from now on it’s May!).
17. Send an unprepared student into an exam with the hopes that she’ll learn and next time she’ll practice harder.
18. Print colored worksheets, games and activites on my own printer.
19. Neglect to use an accounting program.
20. Hand out candies during a mid-lesson game instead of sending them home at the end of the lesson.
21. Host a piano party and invite only boys ages 7-10.
22. Rush a child through an activity they are really enjoying just to get onto the next task.
23. Let my own hurt feelings dictate my business practices.
24. Have an unattractive or outdated studio website.
25. Lose contact with my graduated piano students.
26. Teach during my last week of pregnancy.
27. Teach in-home lessons to an unreliable family.
28. Hide behind an email when a phone call (no matter how uncomfortable) will accomplish more.
29. Have paperclips anywhere in the vicinity of my piano.
30. Forget that behaviour usually stems from an un-met need.
31. Neglect my own piano time.
32. Attend a recital, competition or exam without spare copies of every book my student may need.
33. Hold lessons on a stat holiday.
34. Put anything in writing that I wouldn’t want displayed in full-view in public.
35. Forget to laugh, smile and joke with every one my students no matter if we “click” or not.
36. Teach a child with special needs without first having an in-depth conversation with her parents.
37. Have an in-studio fish tank.
Wow… I can think of many more, but we’d love to hear from you! What would be on your “I’ll never do this again” list? Comment below… and once we’ve all absorbed this info… we should be pretty much perfect 🙂